Thursday, January 29, 2009

Bambi is Dead, Get Over It.


I overheard a discussion about meat a couple of weeks ago. One girl had identified herself as a vegetarian. The others, who were omnivorous, somehow got onto the subject of venison (deer meat). The vegetarian responded, "How can you eat that? That's like eating Bambi!"

And then I noticed her leather boots.

Well, you know what?
If eating deer meat is like eating Bambi, then wearing those boots is like wearing Elsie the Borden Cow!

I don't know how a vegetarian can act so righteous about what's on the dinner table and ignore what's in his/her closet. It's hypocrisy, simple as that. You won't eat animals but you'll wear them. Guess what? They're still dead!

Now, I myself am a vegetarian. I am of the ovo-lacto type, one who eats dairy and eggs. I do not eat beef, pork (no mammals in general), poultry, fish/other seafood, reptiles, etc. I try to avoid animal by-products as well, including lard, beef/chicken stock, gelatin, and those found in cosmetics. (I was sorely disappointed when I found out Junior Mints and Skittles had gelatin, but I have nevertheless refrain from them. And I miss marshmallows, but at least the fluff has only egg whites). And I avoid buying clothing/accessories made from animal skins (like boots).

However, I know my habits of consumption are not perfect, and others might find inconsistencies about them. I'm not a level-five vegan. I know there might be oyster sauce in all the vegetarian selections at a Thai restaurant; I eat honey; and I know most of my clothing was probably made by a little underpaid Chinese kid on the other side of the world. There are so many factors that are out of the consumers' hands. We can rarely be sure if a product truly meets our ethical/moral standards. (And unfortunately, all the products that really do meet those standards also tend to be really expensive.)

Here's the thing. I don't give a shit if you eat meat, as long as you're not trying to convince me to abandon vegetarianism (besides, it won't work). In turn, I won't preach to you about becoming a vegetarian. I won't try to make my reasons yours. If you ask, I'll tell you my own veg story, things I've read or heard, and I won't do it while holding a big-eyed calf. The fact is, shit happens, it's the unfair-trade circle of life, and even if everyone went veg, there would still be problems in the world.

As for the girl with the boots, I don't care if you wear a fur coat to match. And I know you weren't trying to convert anyone. But don't tell or imply to people there's something wrong with what they're putting in their mouths when you're putting the same crap on your credit card.

(Edit note: the Level Five Vegan blog seems to have disappeared. [Hopefully not from malnutrition.] Here's another relevant link.)

4 comments:

  1. This is so funny! This crap happened to me the other day! I have a friend that wears fur coats (real ones), and then she recently turned into a vegetatrian that eats fish. Meanwhile, she's showing me a Peta video in the process /).x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been eating vegetables nearly non-stop (besides fish, eggs, and milk) for a while now, save for when I go home. Fact is, when money is tight, I'll succumb and eat whatever I can.
    But, I didn't even really realize I was eating only vegetables until my roomate saw me cooking and goes "don't you ever eat meat?"

    Yeah, I eat fish, but note that I didn't call myself a vegetarian. I recognize that humans are omnivores evolutionarily (I just made up a word, I think)and that if we all turned into a nomadic society, we wouldn't have time to sit down and wait for a few months until we can get a crop cycle going, we'd be eating whatever we came across. What's your stance on that?

    But, for now, everything's stable and I can eat my 98% veggie diet. I'm in good shape, and veggies just make me feel better.
    and the one thing I have that always stumps ever

    ReplyDelete
  3. In response to you again, good, i'm glad you recognize that. I recently got into an argument that went in circles with someone that couldn't agree nor provide evidence on how we would survive- how frustrating!

    btwreadmyblognoonedoes

    ReplyDelete