Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Move Over, Jesus Fish.



::sigh::

Honestly, I don't understand. Did I miss something? Can someone tell me why these damn family stickers on car windows are so popular? Am I the only one who wants to sneak around a parking lot and place an ominous X over random sticker-family members?

I know this little fad has been going on for a while now, maybe a couple of years or more. But I have to talk about it. My main question is, Why would you advertise your family like that? For one, it's just annoying, like the parents who send album-loads of baby pictures to their family and friends (your kid can shit on the toilet now, congrats). Secondly, it sometimes feels like the beholder of the stickers is boasting some kind of social perfection- "Check it out, 2.5 kids and a dog! Quintessential suburbanite, bitches!" And on that note, how does one not feel like a sickening sugar-coated cliche? Beaver Cleaver could kick your ass. Then what about the people who have but one or two stickers? They're just asking for pity, especially if that one sticker is of their dog.

But more than anything, I question the logic behind this fad. The first time I saw these stickers, however long ago that was, the first thought that came to my head was, "Now if I were a predator..." Call me cynical, evil, disturbed, whatever. If I were a predator out on the road, these stickers are all I'd keep my eye out for, because then I'd know which cars lead to households with plenty of possessions, and if there are any kids or teens for the taking. With any luck, the school at which the children are "Honor Students" will be on the bumper too. Stalkerlicious. Some stickers even have the names of the family members! Really, people, come on. That's like holding your baby over a balcony. Okay, not quite, but it's dangerous. Keeping-It-Real-Mom knows what I'm talking about! (Now, I don't know exactly how real she keeps it, but at least she would agree with me).

3 comments:

  1. Haha, I feel the same way. But i've actually seen X's on the stickers before, but I think it was meant to be, because there was a little "RIP" sticker right next to it.

    .. not only do i want to broadcast what and how many are in my family (including pets), i want to let you know that some went underwent the natural process of dying!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My favorite is when the family has gotten so out of hand that they have a second row of kids on there. That woman in CA who just had the eight kids is going to have to get like a whole second car just to add more stickers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was thinking about this the other day! I couldn't believe that the mini van in front of me had those damn stickers. I mean, it's been like three years since that was cool...and the sad thing is they were never cool to begin with. I used to say if I was a serial stalker those people would be too easy. Don't people believe in challenging their stalker and themselves? Might as well walk around with the word "prey" on your forehead.

    ReplyDelete